Wednesday, July 23, 2014

I only want to help.

My entire life, I have been that girl. The girl that worries. The girl that cares.  The girl that always has to get involved and voice her opinion. The counselor, the confidant, the go-to.

I have some innate instinct to play mother hen to any person I come across whom may seem unhappy, upset, or in need of a friend. I have even found myself hugging complete strangers at the pharmacy counter because I noticed them crying or distraught.

For the most part, I can say that being an empathetic person has given me the highest level of fulfillment and the attainment of incomparable bonds and relationships.


On the other hand, being critically involved in the lives of others is pretty tricky business.

People don't always want to hear the truth.  Sometimes people don't want a solution.  They don't want to be understood.   They want to be pitied and comforted.  That's the kind friend I have trouble being.

When something is wrong, I can't just let it be.  I must take action. Something must be done to fix the problem. So, when I see a person I care about acting in a behavior that is neither beneficial to them or their causes, I have to bring it to their attention.  That is what a friend does.  When your messing up.  Your friend plays that mirror for you and lets you know that your messing up. 

So.... sometimes you don't want to hear what I think, or what I have to say.  Understandable.  But know this...  I cared enough to have an opinion.  If my words sometimes seem harsh, let me apologize now.   I really only want to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment